Friday, May 16, 2014

Announcements to Share

I'll pulling together announcements I'm finding about news in Lakeside for the June/July issue. I'm hoping more people will submit announcements to share relating to Lakeside and even share some of Lakeside's history in future newsletter issues.

  The busy summer is ahead with Lakeside being a great place to relax out in the backyard, at the park, or on the rocks at the beach.   The last few weeks of school are in full gear and probably people are planning a vacation getaway or two and family visits.  Plant sales will be starting up.  This year I want to add cosmos to the yard again.   I can't wait to see the flowers in bloom.  The progression of days in these long daylight months is exciting.    The fixing of the railroad overpass at 36th Ave. E. isn't quite done.  Workers are on the job to finish the project so the North Shore Scenic Railroad train rides can come on over. 
I went to the Duluth Preservation Alliance annual meeting on Monday night and heard the story of the acquiring and renovation of a train car that belonged to the Merritt Family.  With hard work many things are possible.  
So far Seven Bridges Road is still closed from the June flood of 2012 - almost two years ago.  I know many people have used the closed road as a wide walking path.  It's beautiful any time of the year.  Perhaps we will be able to drive along at some point.
In the newsletter I'll share a piece of Lakeside area's past that I bought off e-bay. 
The newsletter will be wrapped up in the next few days and out to the subscribers and then to the distribution sites by the end of the month.  Can you believe May is already have over?  I put together a Dulcimer festival the 1st Saturday in May.  It's a whirl of activity bringing 4 out of town musicians to town to come teach the twenty classes.  I was happy again to have participants come who want to learn more about taking part in making music and to hear wonderful concerts.  I love folk music and a mix of folk instruments.  Mountain and hammered dulcimers have been special to me for decades.  This was the 13th year for the festival.
Now I'm more free to work on other things like the newsletter and perhaps a documentary on Park Point.  I'd like to start interviewing people in June relating to Park Point's early days. 
As a reminder you can watch these two neighborhood video's I made:
Early Days of Lakeside
Early Days of the West End (Duluth)
Over 2500 people have watched them through vimeo and I've done showings through Duluth community ed.

Enjoy wearing shorts again and short sleeves.  My sandals are ready and waiting.

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment